4.21.2011

Tutorial: How to make a no-sew paper flag pennant banner

We see them everywhere.  Cute little flag pennant banners that coordinate with the color scheme of the party and add an extra little oomph to the decor.

I think they are so popular because they add much needed color and pattern, for a relatively low cost.  I wanted to show you how easy peasy it is to make a pennant/flag banner for your next celebration.  Though I have sewn one before, this tutorial is for a no-sew version.  Both are equally cute, but I'm kind of partial to the no-sew version because it allows you to work on it while you hang with the fam or watch TV.  Plus, as discussed below, it allows more flexibility when hanging.

Here's what you need:
Pretty scrapbook paper
Hole puncher
Twine
Scissors
Pencil

First, figure out what size flag you want.  My flags are 5 inches wide by 6.5 inches long.

Then, trace the first flag over and over on the backsides of the scrapbook paper and cut them all out.  I was able to squeeze 5 flags per sheet (by turning some sideways).  I used 5 different scrapbook patterns, 2 pages of each pattern each.  This made a total of 50 flags, 10 of each pattern.

Next, figure out where you want your holes.  No sense in being too precious about it - the "handmade-ness" of the holes and flags adds to the charm.  I made 4 on each flag, that way the string left two nice "dashes" on the front of each flag.

 The hard part is over now!  Just plop down with some Reese Witherspoon or Mark Ruffalo and start stringing those flags!  I doubled up the twine because I thought it needed to be more substantial looking to fill the holes.  Later, I realized that having the double string was really helpful for hanging...you could just loop the end over a pushpin and VOILA - easily hung!

Try to remember to thread the string the same way on each flag (from behind, to the top, then down again).  That way, each flag, though a different pattern, has a similar pattern on the top.

Another nice thing about the no-sew version is that you can space the flags out as needed.  I ended up taking a couple of flags off of the banner hanging over the fireplace because it looked a little too crowded.

After I hung the banner, I just felt like it needed something extra.  So, I bought some glittery sticky foam, cut out a heart, and stuck it on the middle flag.  There!  Now it looks like a bridal show banner, but not in an over the top way.

Want more information about the details behind this bridal tea shower?  Go here for the down and dirty nitty gritty!

Tenderness and twine,
post signature

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very clever - thanks so much!

Kirsten @ Mushki Loves said...

Thank you so much for this GREAT tutorial! I am a new follower!
I would love it if you would stop by and say "HI" I blog over at Mushki Loves!

Kirsten

christa Baca said...

THANK YOU! This is perfect for a party I am doing and I thought I might have to scrap the flags because I may not have enough time to make them! Thanks to you I will! Awesome!

Nancy Ceresia said...

This is a great idea! I've linked to your post from my blog. I wrote a post about using party decor in everyday decorating and this tutorial is a great one to show a no-sew idea. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Have you ever thought about aԁding а littlе
bit moгe than just your агticles?
I mean, what you say is vаluablе and еverythіng.
Νeverthelesѕ just imagine іf you added somе great photos or νideο cliрs
to giνe your pοsts morе, "pop"! Υour content is excellent but with piсs and video clipѕ, this
blog could undeniаbly be one of thе very bеst in іtѕ fіeld.
Amаzing blog!
Feel free to surf my blog post ; her comment is here

Anonymous said...

It DID have pics

Amanda Rose said...

Yours was the first post to show up in google after I typed in 'flag banner'. I will be doing. Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

Love it. I just made one if these for my son's bday party. Thanks for posting.

Anonymous said...

Savеԁ as а favoгite, I reallу lіκe уοur site!


My blog poѕt: webpage erstellen

Anonymous said...

thanks for the step by step!

Sign making supply said...

I read this article completely about the resemblance of hottest and previous technologies,
it's awesome article.

Veronica Luengas said...

very cute ideas!!

Veronica Luengas said...

very cute ideas!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails